Would you vote for the Liberal government if Justin Trudeau stays as Liberal party leader?

Please be advised that this site is not affiliated with the Service Canada office.
It was created to provide general EI information only.


How to register

Sign up or log into My Service Canada Account

If you already have a My Service Canada Account (MSCA), log in using your sign-in partner, GCKey or MyAlberta Digital ID.To create an account:

  1. request a personal access code online or at a Service Canada Centre
  2. create an account using a sign-in partner, GCKey or MyAlberta Digital ID
  3. log into MSCA

Register for the self-employed program

On the main page in MSCA:

  1. click the Apply for tab
  2. click Register for EI for the self-employed
  3. follow the steps to enter into an agreement with the Employment Insurance (EI) Commission

Once you submit your registration, you’ll immediately get a confirmation that you’ve entered into an agreement with the EI Commission.


Submit supporting documents to the Canada Revenue Agency

Each year when you complete your income tax return, you must complete and submit Schedule 13 (Employment Insurance premiums on self-employment and other eligible earnings) to the Canada Revenue Agency.

To get a Schedule 13:

  1. choose the tax package you need
  2. select your province or territory
  3. click on Schedule 13 under Schedules

Fill out schedule 13 to calculate your premiums. You’ll pay premiums based on your self-employed income for the entire calendar year, starting the year you register.


Benefits are available 12 months after registration

You can apply for special benefits 12 months after your confirmed registration date. You can check your registration date in MSCA.If you need special benefits, decide which one is right for your situation and then apply online. You must meet the eligibility criteria for the benefit for which you are applying. 

Once you receive benefits as a self-employed person, you’ll continue paying premiums for as long as you’re self-employed.

If you have not filed your income tax return for the year before you apply for benefits, you’ll have to provide an estimate of your self-employed earnings. This estimate should be as accurate as possible, since your benefit amount will be calculated based on what you provide. We’ll make any necessary adjustments after you file your income tax return.

Next Page…