Please be advised that this site is not affiliated with the Service Canada office.
It was created to provide general EI information only.
The Government of Canada is committed to negotiating collective agreements that are fair for employees and reasonable for taxpayers.
However, bargaining groups representing approximately 159,000 public servants may be in a legal strike position as early as mid-April. These employees provide a range of services for the public.
In the event of a labour disruption, certain services may be affected. This could include programs and services offered by Employment and Social Development Canada through Service Canada.
Essential services would be maintained in the event of labour disruption. The Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, Employment Insurance and Social Insurance Numbers are deemed essential services and would be maintained during any labour disruptions. While we expect there may be some delays in processing and increased wait times in call centres, Service Canada would work to meet service standards and answer client enquiries and calls in a timely manner.
In-person services at Service Canada Centres would be limited to clients requiring assistance with Employment Insurance, Social Insurance Numbers, Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security and Guaranteed Income Supplement. Offices would remain open, however, days and hours of operation may vary.
The Passport Program would be impacted in the event of a labour disruption, and the delivery of passports would be limited to clients experiencing humanitarian or emergency situations.
- Employment Insurance (including Work-Sharing Program)
- Canada Pension Plan
- Old Age Security
- Social Insurance Number
- Call centres
- Self-serve online services
- Labour Program
- Canada Student Financial Assistance Program
- Canada–Ukraine Transitional Assistance Initiative
- Canada Coal Transition Initiative
- Canadian Benefit for Parents of Young Victims of Crime
- Canada apprenticeship grants
- Wage Earner Protection Program
- Fish Harvester Benefit
Services partially or fully disrupted
- Passport services
- Grants and contributions programs
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program
- Canada Education Savings Grant
- Canada Learning Bond
- Canada Disability Savings Grant and Canada Disability Savings Bond
- Job Bank
- Biometrics collection
Service Canada will continue to update their webpage to tell you how services may be impacted.